The University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) Extension in Lake County is hosting the 6th Annual Lake County Farm Tour from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 20. Participants will meet at the Lake County Extension Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares.
“Our annual Farm Tour is an ideal way to introduce residents to Lake County’s diverse agritourism businesses and attractions,” said Juanita Popenoe, Ph.D., UF/IFAS Lake County Extension Director of Commercial Environmental Horticulture Agent III.
“Extension agents will also be on hand during the tour to offer additional information regarding horticulture, gardening, livestock and more.”
Stops on the Farm Tour include:
• Codding’s Small Farm, a diversified small family farm featuring poultry, goats, cows, horses, pigs and vegetable garden.
• Santa’s Christmas Tree Forest, a local source for Florida Christmas Trees, which features a petting zoo, gift shop and more.
• Catered lunch at Cassia Community Center to include salad, a choice of beef stew or chicken and dumplings, and dessert provided by Olivia’s. (Vegetarian meals are available upon request at registration.)
• Seminole Springs Antique Rose and Herb Farm, a greenhouse and gardens filled with antique roses and herbs available for purchase.
• Jon’s Nursery, a 200-acre wholesale nursery known for its camellias, day lilies, and many other landscape plants. The Farm Tour costs $35 (plus a $2.92 service fee) and includes lunch. Registration is required at http://2015lakecountyfarmtour.eventbrite.com/ by Tuesday, Nov. 10.
Participants are asked to wear appropriate clothing and comfortable shoes because some walking is required. For more information, contact Juanita Popenoe at 352-343-4101.